1898 – Montgomery Ward Building, Six North Michigan Ave., Chicago

Architect: Schmidt, Garden, and Martin

0001

Constructed as the headquarters of the Montgomery Ward company; a major player in the American Midwest until the late 20th century. The building was erected to enhance the stature of the company, and invoke a sense of trust in its customers. Four added floors to the main building in the 1940s had the effect of shortening the appearance of the tower – the removal of the pyramidal roof actually shortened it.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com