Architect: Samuel Hooper
The former Central Normal School served as the headquarters for teacher training for more than forty years, and was the key institution for formulating educational philosophy and curriculum. Designed by Samuel Hooper (1861–1911), who was Manitoba’s Provincial Architect. He originally trained as a stonemason and became one of Winnipeg’s foremost architects. Converted into residential use in 1992. The Neo-Classical structure built of Tyndall limestone was one of four Normal Schools built in Manitoba. The others were St. Boniface (1903), Manitou (1904, demolished), and Brandon (1912–13).