Designed by provincial architect Samuel Hooper, this building was the first telephone exchange erected by Manitoba Government Telephones (first provincially owned telephone system in Canada). It served as headquarters and as a visual symbol of the Manitoba Telephone System until 1932, when head office demands outgrew the building. Following the construction of new headquarters on Portage Avenue East, the “Garry” continued to function as one of the main downtown exchanges. The building was converted into a garment factory in 1954. During 1986–87, it was converted to cooperative housing.