Canadian Pacific Railway Department of Natural Resources building which was on the south side of 9th Avenue east of Centre Street, beside the CPR station. The building occupied the site of what was the Canadian Pacific Railway gardens. Now the site of the Calgary Tower.
In 1883, a CPR crew accidentally discovered natural gas near Medicine Hat, Alberta. In 1912, the CPR set up its Department of Natural Resources in Calgary to manage its timber, oil, gas, and mineral rights as well as land sales and immigration and colonization activities.