The Liverpool Seamen’s Orphan Institution was established in order to provide care and education for the many Liverpool children who lost families at sea. In 1870 Liverpool City Council donated land next to Newsham Park and a large building was erected to house and educate the orphans. It was opened in 1874. In 1949 the decision was made to close it down and in 1951 the building was sold to the Ministry of Health and turned in to a hospital. The former orphanage was designed by the celebrated Victorian architect, Alfred Waterhouse, and is Grade II listed. It is now empty.