Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1757 – Bedford Square, Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

0267

Bedford Square was intended as the first scheme of the Wide Streets Commissioners, but was never developed despite appearing on several maps including Rocque’s Map of Dublin. The site at Cork Hill was instead used for the Royal Exchange, now City Hall. The Wide Street Commission was set up by an Act of Parliament in 1757 to reduce city-centre congestion, and to widen and develop thoroughfares of Dublin city centre.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Dublin City, Unbuilt Ireland
1826 – Home’s Hotel, Usher’s Quay, Dublin

Home's Hotel was opened by Scotsman George Home in 1826 but it only remained open for a few years. It's fine Doric columned portico was a landmark on the quays....

Close