Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1250c. – Bullock Castle, Co. Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

0008

bullock-castle

Built in the mid 13th century by the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of St. Mary in Dublin to protect the harbour for local fishermen. The castle building formed a gate into a courtyard that defended the harbour below with high walls and at least one other tower. After the dissolution of the monasteries, the harbour, village and castle were seized from the monks and passed down through various families until the start of the 18th century. Illustration, a copper engraved print published in Grose’s Irish Antiquities.

Tweet about this on Twitter2Share on Facebook6Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown
1845 – St. John the Baptist, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne The church of St. John the Baptist was designed by Patrick Byrne in 1842 following a plan by A.W.N. Pugin which was published in the Dublin Review....

Close