1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

027

0004

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s house within the fort later became the home of the Charlemonts – the Caulfields, before Roxborough Castle was constructed. Burnt in 1920.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com