Architect: T.M. Penson
Designed and built between 1863 and 1866 by the Chester architect Thomas Mainwaring Penson – it his last major work. It was completed after his death by his son’s firm R.K. Penson & Ritchie. The upper façade of the building is distinctive half-timbered black-and-white, in the Tudor revival style that is typical of Chester architecture. The Grade II listed building is owned by the Duke of Westminster.