1815 – Clifden Castle, Clifden, Co. Galway
Constructed by John D’arcy who constructed the town of Clifden itself. Following his death in 1839, the estate went bankrupt as a result of debts incurred during the Great Famine and in 1850 the town and castle went on sale. The new owners, the Eyre family from Bath in England, purchased the town and castle for £21,245. The Eyre’s lived at the castle until the 1920s when the lands were eventually purchased by the government and divided out among the tenants. The house then fell into dereliction as it was stripped of any useful materials.