1189 – Clare Abbey, Clarecastle, Co. Clare



Established by Donal Mor O’Brien in 1189, the abbey at Clarecastle, County Clare was the first, largest and most important Augustinian house in the region. When the charter was re-confirmed in 1461, the abbey was dedicated to saints Peter and Paul. Some parts of the single-aisled church date back to the 12th century, and there are also two chapels and a tower from the 15th century. It was probably around 1460 that the tower, the beautiful east window and the domestic buildings were constructed.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com