1265 – Augustinian Abbey, Ballintubber, Co. Mayo


A monastery was founded here for the Augustinians in 1216, but was largely rebuilt in 1265 after a fire. Dissolved in 1542, the Augustinians returned in 1635 before Cromwellian forces destroyed much of the complex in 1653. Partially restored by the Board of Public Works in 1846 and 1889.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com