1910 – Grain Exchange, Calgary, Alberta
William Roper Hull, rancher, real estate speculator and founding member of the Calgary Grain Exchange, built this six-storey sandstone structure in 1910 to provide offices for the newly formed exchange and 21 grain companies. Initially called the Hull Block, it was later renamed the Grain Exchange Building. The ornate central entrance facing 1st Street S.W. is original and features heavy oak doors, beveled glass, an elaborate sandstone arch surround carved by Norman Priestly, and W.H. intertwined initials inscribed on a scrolled stone shield above the door.