1920 – Cottages and Village Shop, Kings Walden, Hertfordshire

Architect: Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel

0002

From The Building News, August 27 1920: “The illustration is of two of several pairs of cottages recently erected or in course of erection on the estate of Major J. F. Harrison, D.S.O., at King’s Walden, near Hitchin. These are being built largely by local labour under the estate building foreman, and are of Luttm purple-grey bricks and roofed with dark hand-made plain tiles. The site selected involves the front in which the shop occurs facing north-west, and the kitchens are accordingly planned on the opposite aspect. Theshop-store at rear of shop is accessible from the door on the left of shop front, and the front and back bedrooms over the centre block are apportioned one to each cottage. The adjoining pair is similar in material, and of somewhat smaller accommodation. The drawing given here was shown at the Royal Academy this year. Mr H. S. Goodhart-Rendel is the architect.”

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com