RIAI Awards 2012 announced
The winners of the RIAI Architecture Awards for 2012 have been announced today at the Wood Quay Venue.
- Best Conservation/Restoration Project goes to OPW and their work on Monaghan Courthouse
- Best Educational Building goes to Mary Laheen Architects’ New Extension to Primary School for Girls
- Best Health Building goes to McCullough Mulvin Architects for Dublin Dental Hospital
- Best House Extension goes to LiD Architects for Garden Kitchen
- Best Leisure Building is won by Henchion Reuter Architects for their Tropical Biome, Leipzig
- Best Public Building is awarded to Robin Lee Architecture for Wexford County Council HQ
- Best Sustainable Project goes to Taylor Architects /RMJM for Engineering Building NUI Galway
- Best Public Space is won by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Architects Department for The Metals Project
- Best Cultural Building goes to O’Donnell & Tuomey’s Lyric Theatre in Belfast
- Best Emerging Practice Award is won by Steve Larkin Architects
- Best House goes to Steve Larkin Architects for Teach Bhaile Eamoinn
- Best Overseas Award goes to Heneghan Peng Architects and their project Central Park Bridge London 2012
In addition, the Engineering Building National University Ireland (NUI) Galway, designed by Taylor Architects/RMJM, has been voted the Public Choice in this year’s awards. Since the shortlist of 34 projects was announced two weeks ago, the RIAI has received over 12,500 votes, 42.76 % of which went to the Engineering Building NUI Galway. Other projects which came close to clinching the prestigious award were The Lir Academy Smith + Kennedy Architects and House on Mount Anville by Aughey O’Flaherty Architects.