1824 – St. Brendan’s Church, Birr, Co. Offaly
A curious design for a Roman Catholic church, looking more like a design by the Board of First Fruits for the Church of Ireland. The 2nd Earl of Rosse donated the site and his son Lord Oxmantown (the future famous astronomer) laid the foundation stone, on August 1st, 1817. Built in gothic style the church is in the shape of a Latin Cross. Its spire extends to 124 feet 6 inches and is surmounted with a Greek cross. The interior has some fine fixtures and fittings from the early twentieth century.
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Germany license.
Attribution: Andreas F. Borchert