St Cartage’s Parish Church was officially opened in 1884, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Lombardo-Romanesque churches in Ireland. Red sandstone, quarried locally, and white limestone were used in the church’s construction. The bell tower rises to a height of 120ft. above the richly detailed facade. The church contains some interesting stained glass of the Celtic Revival, notably a set of three windows commemorating saints associated with Lismore – Cathaldus, Carthage,and Colman.
Exterior photograph Copyright Shaun McGuire and licensed for reuse under Creative Commons Licence.
Interior photographs licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Germany license.
Attribution: Andreas F. Borchert