The church of St. John the Baptist was designed by Patrick Byrne in 1842 following a plan by A.W.N. Pugin which was published in the Dublin Review. The initial building consisted of the nave, chancel and bell tower. In 1850, additions were made to the east side, to the right of the entrance. These included an aisle, baptistry, vestry and a chapel in honour of Our Lady. In 1931-1932, a school to the west side of the church was demolished and an additional aisle, St. Anne’s aisle, was constructed, to designs by Robinson & Keefe. This included the St. Anne’s chapel and the Blessed Sacrament chapel. There are stained glass windows by William Wailes, Joshua Clarke, Harry Clarke, Earley & Co, and Evie Hone.