Architect: John Frederick Hilly
The plans for St Patrick’s may have been loosely modelled on St Anthony’s Church of 1833 in Liverpool, and were originally drawn by William Fernyhough, a Sydney draughtsman. Unfortunately the design did not fit the site, so the architect John Frederick Hilly was employed to re-design the church and supervise its construction. Even then, the church porch extended beyond the street building line, and a special Act had to be passed through the NSW Legislative Council in 1840 to legitimise the encroachment. The church is quite narrow and dominated internally by ornate statuary and stations.