Sculptor: John Kirk
Sir Philip Crampton’s memorial fountain at Dublin. Crampton was Surgeon-General to the British Army. He was always interested in zoological science and played an active part in founding the Royal Zoological Society of Ireland and was many times its president. Situated at the junction of College St. with Pearse St. and D’Olier Streets. This bizarre memorial, which was made up of a stone base with three drinking fountains and what looks like the top of a pineapple, slowly rusted and fell apart. Removed in 1959. The site is now taken by the distinctly under-whelming Long Stone sculpture.