Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
Built to house offices of the United States Customs Service at Portland, Maine, a port of entry for the United States. Completed under the direction of Alfred B. Mullett, Supervising Architect of the Treasury from 1865 to 1874, in a style that uses elements of the Second Empire and Renaissance Revival styles. Mullett was also commissioned to design a new post office and courthouse (no longer extant). Construction took five years to complete amid delays in obtaining granite for the upper stories.