Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1877 – Errew Grange, Co. Mayo

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook9Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: J.F. Fuller

errew

errew

By his marriage with an heiress Ellen Farrar, Granville Knox, was able to purchase Errew in Co Mayo. In 1876 he owned 1182 acres in Co Mayo and 1128 acres in Co Sligo.However hHe overextended his resources by building a large house at Errew, which became known as ‘Knox’s Folly’, designed by J.F. Fuller. Following his bankruptcy he emigrated to Nova Scotia. The house was sold and later leased it to the Order of Jesus and Mary before the Order moved to Gortnaraby in 1916. It became a hotel but burnt down in 1949 and was later restored. Now converted to apartments.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook9Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Mayo
1915 – Railway Terminus, Blacksod Bay, Co. Mayo

Architect: Hoare & Wheeler Unbuilt proposal for a large railway terminus to serve a trans-atlantic liner terminal that would have seen Liverpool ousted not just as the transatlantic departure point...

Close