Donated to the City of Sydney by the Hon. John Frazer, MLC (1827-84), a merchant, company director and philanthropist. In 1881 Frazer agreed to finance the design and erection of two fountains to be located in the city. This one, located at the intersection of Art Gallery Road, Prince Albert and St. Mary’s Road. The other fountain is located opposite Sydney Grammar School, Hyde Park South. The fountain was designed by Thomas Sapsford, who was the City Architect, and sculpted by Lawrence Beveridge. Constructed in Pyrmont sandstone.