The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and rebranded temporarily as National Bank of Ireland, before being fully incorporated into Bank of Ireland. The British branches were acquired by Williams & Glyn’s Bank. Their Belfast branch was a streel-framed, terracotta and brick finished building constructed 1893-97 by William Batt. The building’s exterior has survived largely intact until the ground floor was re-clad and the small central balcony was removed in the 1980s.