Architect: Frank Emley
In 1920 Frank Emley entered into partnership with Frederick Williamson having won the competition for the design of the main building of the University of the Witwatersrand with a proposal for a block with a large, high central dome above a large circular hall dominating the plan. Despite protests, the university committee appointed Cowin & Powers, who placed second, as joint architects with Emley & Williamson. The final design for the Main Building at the University of the Witwatersrand was severely neo-classical and among the designs selected for display at the exhibition of Dominion and Colonial Architecture held in London at the RIBA headquarters from October to November 1926. At this exhibition the design was under again Emley’s name despite his ongoing partnership with Williamson. The partners executed a number of other buildings for the University. Published in The Building News, December 10 1920.
More commonly known аs Wits University, іts roots are іn the mining industry, аs dо Johannesburg аnd the Witwatersrand іn general. Founded іn 1896 аs the South African School оf Mines іn Kimberley, іt іs the third oldest South African university