1938 – The Henry Davis York Building, Martin Place, Sydney, Australia
A 11-storey art-deco building on the corner of Castlereagh Street and Martin Place. It was the former headquarters of the Mutual Life and Citizens Assurance Co, a large finance company taken over by the National Australia Bank in 2000. The large, red, carved letters “MLC” are still visible on the clocktower, although there are no clockfaces. When completed in 1938 it came in around the 150-foot height limit imposed by the New South Wales Government, although the tower cheekily rose another 50 foot above.