1945 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Carndonagh, Co. Donegal
Large Roman Catholic church that proclaims its position over the town and countryside. Done in a vaguely Italianate style with the campanile and crossing tower and dome, described as “Neo-Italianate” at the time. Clearly an example of the mid-century church building in Ireland, as epitomised by buildings of the period in Dublin – vast, lacking in architectural detail, and historically dubious. External statuary by Albert Power.
Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.