The ancestral home of the Mcmorrough Kavanaghs, High Kings of Leinster, and originally an important castle guarding the River Barrow, Borris House was rebuilt in 1731. It was later altered by the architectural dynastic family, Richard and William Morrison. Externally, they clothed the 18th century house in a thin Tudor Gothic skin, adding a crenellated arcaded porch on the entrance and decorating the windows with rectangular and ogival hood-moulds. Inside the house they created an exuberant series of rooms beginning with the entrance hall, where a circle is created within a square space with the clever use of pairs of scagliola columns and richly modelled plasterwork. The plasterwork was carried out by George Stapleton to designs of Richard Morrison.