Architect: George Smith / W.H. Lynn
Originally the central bays were constructed as a free standing Italiante palazzo to designs by George Smith, the architect to the Harbour Commissioners/ Later extended in 1895 by W.H. Lynn, who added symmetrical wings with attic storeys as well as changing the Classical order used by Smith. The interior has opulent materials and fittings, and a public hall that has been described as one of Lynn’s best interior spaces.