1865 – Methodist Church, Northgate St, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Alfred G. Jones


Unusual looking Methodist church with two side gateways incorporated into the main facade, surmounted by two solid pinnacles. Like many Methodist chapels of the period in the UK, it has an octagonal sanctuary to the west. A planned residence adjoining was never constructed. A tall spire-like lantern was originally placed over the west end, but that became unsafe and was removed in the 1950s.

Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com