Sometimes referred to as the “cathedral” of the Island, overlooking the Solent, built to a decorated gothic design by Sir Gilbert Scott in the 1870s. The foundation stone was laid in 1870, the church consecrated in 1872 and the tower and spire completed in 1882. An elegant vestry was added in 1891, designed by Pemberton Leach.
From The Building News, June 4 1869: “ONE of our lithographic illustrations this week comprises n north-west view and plan of the new church about to be erected at Rvde from the designs of Mr. G. G. Scott, R.A. The style is thirteenth century Gothic, and the building, when finally completed, will accommodate 1200 persons. The material to be used is Binstead local stone, with Bath stone dressings. Messrs. Jackson and Shaw arc the builders. The foundation stone will be laid some time in the month of July next, and the Queen has graciously promised that the ceremony shall be performed by one of the Royal Family.”