1846 – Old County Gaol, Wexford, Co. Wexford


The most striking element of the Old County Gaol is the curiously flat almost cardboard cut outcut-like entrance constructed in 1846. It is built of random squared rubble red sandstone and capped by a cut-granite battlemented parapet. Behind the gatehouse is a five-bay three-storey over basement gaol, established in 1812, and behind this is a nine-bay three-storey prison block of the same date. Burned in 1922 but later renovated to accommodate a courthouse and later Wexford County Hall.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com