1854 – St Brigid’s Church, Ballinakill, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. McCarthy

abbeyleix_library

The spire and tower was added by J.J. McCarthy around 1854 to an earlier church. The earlier building is a simple cruciform church, similar to many found in smaller towns and villages across Ireland. The addition of the heavy McCarthy-designed spire seems quite at odds with it.

Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com