1854 – St Brigid’s Church, Ballinakill, Co. Laois
The spire and tower was added by J.J. McCarthy around 1854 to an earlier church. The earlier building is a simple cruciform church, similar to many found in smaller towns and villages across Ireland. The addition of the heavy McCarthy-designed spire seems quite at odds with it.
Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J. Allen.