Architect: John Nash
A “cottage orné” built in the early 1800s by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall to a design by the famous Regency architect John Nash. Its interior contains a graceful spiral staircase and some elegantly decorated rooms. The wallpaper in the Salon manufactured by the Dufour factory is one of the first commercially produced Parisian wallpapers. Started in 1810, and completed around 1814. The house was not designed to be lived in, but as somewhere to entertain. The cottage was in a state of disrepair up to the mid 1980s, but was then taken in charge by the State and fully refurbished to its original specifications.