Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1920 – Monument Telephone Exchange, Tower St., London

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook2Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: Edward Cropper

0005

0005

Still in use today, and externally largely as illustrated. From The Building News, September 17 1920: “Declarations were made for the erection of this building in 1914-15. but. owing to the war, no building operations were possible until 1919. The structure is mainly of brick, with interna1 steel framing supporting fire-resisting tiles. The front to Great Tower Street is faced with Portland stone. The building is designed to accommodate about 30.000 telephone lines, and is intended to relieve the pressure on the existing City exchanges and to allow for new subscribers. The architect is Mr. Edward Cropper. O.B.E., of H.M. Office of Works, and the building contractore are Messrs. Galbraith Bros.”

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook2Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of London
1920 – Gresham House, Old Broad St., London

Architect: W.T. Hanman Demolished when the area was cleared to make way for the NatWest Tower now Tower 42. Published in The Building News, August 6 1920: "The illustration shows...

Close