Cormac’s Chapel, consecrated in 1134, is the most important building on the Rock of Cashel, from an architectural point of view. Begun in 1127, it is a very sophisticated structure for a Irish Romanesque church which were normally simpler. The building shows Germanic influences in the twinned towers at the junction of nave and chancel. Cashel had strong links with the German town of Regensburg at this time.
Other notable features of the building include: interior and exterior arcading; a barrel-vaulted roof; a carved tympanum over both doorways; the magnificent North Doorway and Chancel Arch. It also contains one of the best preserved Irish frescos from this time period.