Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

12th C. – St. Flannan’s Oratory, Killaloe, Co. Clare

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

0002

0002

Standing in the graveyard to the north of Killaloe Cathedral is St Flannan’s late 11th or early 12th century oratory. It may have been built to house the remains of the saint. The oratory has two storeys, a lower floor which is barrel-vaulted and an upper floor between the vault and the roof. Originally there was a small chancel which was accessed through a plain arch from the nave. There is an elaborately carved west doorway in the Romanesque style.

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Clare
1850 – Spectacle Bridge, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare

Architect: John Hill This unusual bridge spans a deep narrow gorge through which the Aille River flows. As it had to support the road at the top, a double arch...

Close