1742 – Obelisk, Killiney Hill, Co. Dublin
The Obelisk bears the inscription: “Last year being hard with the poor, walks about these hills and this were erected by John Mapas, June 1742.” The structure consists of a square base with recessed arches on each side with seats. A doorway on the east side leads into a staircase, which rises to a small viewing chamber with windows and a doorway onto a viewing platform. This square room forms the base for the tall and slender cone above it.
The hill and obelisk were opened as a park in 1887, due to ‘a strong desire having been expressed by many citizens of Dublin to adopt the opening of public parks and pleasure-grounds as a form of memorial to commemorate the Queen’s Jubilee’.