Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1773 – Abbeyleix House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest1Email this to someone
Architect: James Wyatt

0003

0003

0003

A seven-bay, three-storey over basement with dormer attic Classical-style country house, begun 1773, with a pedimented breakfront having a cut stone Doric door-case to the ground floor. Originally brick, later rendered by Thomas Henry Wyatt. Five-bay elevation to garden front with breakfront having cut sandstone doorcase and Wyatt style window openings to flanking bays.

“A good landlord, and an improving man, his first care was to remove the old village on the banks of the Nore, and to build a new one, long known as New Abbeyleix, on a better site further from the river.f He also demolished the former family residence, and, in 1773, erected in its place the present mansion, which took several years to complete.”

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest1Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Laois
1840 – Pembroke Row, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

When the 3rd Viscount de Vesci married Lady Emma Hubert, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery. The Earl built this stone terrace of houses for the town as...

Close