Commissioned by the 5th Duke of Devonshire (1748-1811) as part of improvements at Lismore, this is a graceful single span bridge over the river Blackwater. Three arches of a causeway were destroyed by flood in November 1855. In 1858, the Cavendish family sponsored a new causeway on the north side of the bridge. This new construction followed designs by Charles Tarrant and was done by E.P.Nagle and C.H.Hunt. This construction replaced all but the main arch of the bridge.