1782 – Kilkenny College, Kilkenny

Architect: Charles Vierpyl


A long established school, opened in 1667 under the auspices of James Ormonde, first Duke of Ormonde, but possibly operated some years earlier. In the 1780s, a new school was built on the same site overlooking the river Nore on John St. In 1985 the college was relocated to Celbridge House on the outskirts of the city, and the old school with its Georgian buildings and elegant facade, now houses the offices of the County Council.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com