Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1789 – Bishop Gate, City Walls, Derry, Co. Derry

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architect: Henry Aaron Baker

0004

0004

The present Bishop Gate was built in 1789 as a triumphal arch to mark the first centenary of the closing of the gates by The Apprentice Boys of Derry. The he sculpted heads represent the River Foyle (external) and the River Boyne (internal) were designed by Edward Smyth, who had sculptured the thirteen riverine heads on Dublin’s Custom House. On either side of the gate are steps giving access to the City Walls.

Tweet about this on Twitter1Share on Facebook1Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1867 – Schools, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: John McCurdy Strongly reminiscent of the work of Deane and Woodward of a decade before. "With this number we...

Close