This was the final commission of the Pugin & Ashlin partnership; finished by Ashlin alone, and built on land given by Mr Tighe of Rossanagh. The west front is similar to St Paul’s, Dover. The foundation stone was laid March 19 1868 with the dedication on October 4 1869. Total cost around £4,000.
“We give as our illustration for this number, two views of the new Catholic Church in process of erection at Glenealy, Co. Wicklow, for the Very Rev. Dr. O’Carroll, P.P., Ashford, from the designs of Messrs. Pugin and Ashlin, of Dublin. The church, as will be seen, consists of bave, transepts, chancel, and sacristy. The nave is divided from the transepts on each side by two arches, with marble shaft and limestone caps and bases. The roof of nave will be open-timbered, sheeted on the lower edge of rafter with three-quarter St. John’s battens. The chancel roof will be divided into panels, with ribs, and the panels will be plastered to receive future decoration. The works are being carried out under the direction of the architects by a resident clerk of the works. The dressings of the church, doors, windows, strings, gable-moulds etc., are of chiselled grantite, and are being exeuted in a very superior manner by Mr. John Brady of the Ballyknocken Granite Quarries.” Published in The Irish Builder, November 1 1868.