1869 – St Moling & St Carthage Church, Brosna, Co. Kerry
Revised design for catholic church in Brosna -the initial design had a tower and spire, but due to costs, a simple belfry on the west facade was decided upon. The interior has a fine wooden roof and reredos but that’s where it ends. The interior plaster was stripped off the walls, probably inspired by the disaster at Killarney Cathedral – the result is grim and dark. Modernisation of the sanctuary area has also been unsympathetic to the building.
“A bird’s-eye view of this new church forms our illustration with this number. It may be taken as a good type of a country parish church, combining as it does very considerable accommodation with comparatively small outlay. The plan, as will be seen, is cruciform; the nave and transept being of the same width (28 feet). The transepts are separated from nave by an arcade of two arches on each side. The rood is open to the ridge, and is wrought, stained, varnished etc. An organ gallery will be places over west end of nave. The contractor for the works is Mr. W. Walsh, Foynes; the architect is Mr. G.C. Ashlin, St. Stephen’s-green Dublin. The cost of the building will be about 2,000.” From The Irish Builder, December 1 1868.