1870 – Ulster Bank Buildings, Waring St., Belfast
Now part of the Merchant Hotel along with the former Ulster Bank headquarters next to it.
“These new buildings are being erected for the Ulster Banking Company, in Waring-street, on the site of some very old and dilapidated premises. The result will be to materially improve the aspect of that street, and to bring more prominenttly into view the really fine Bank (designed by Mr. James Hamilton, of Glasgow and Belfast). The building which is the subject of our notice is of stone; white Scrabo, finely “sparrow-picked,” being used for the general walling, and Dungannon stone, finely wrought, for the dressings. The plinth is of Newry granite, as are also the pilasters (in one stone each) at shops on side elevation.
The main portion of the building will be occupied as offices, their cheif entrance being in portion of the building nearest the Bank, and set back from the general frontage line of new offices some 9 ft. or 10 ft., and is approached by a flight of steps, as seen in our view. It is intended to surround the new building with a plinth and railing similar to that at present enclosing Bank. This has, however been omitted in our view, as it would interfere with the lower portion of the building.
The work is being executed in a very superior style of workmanship , and in a manner most creditable to himself, by Mr. John Murphy, builder of Great George’s-street, from plans by Messrs. Thomas Jackson & Sons, Donegall-place, and under their superindence. The estimated cost is about 4,000. The building is to be completed in about ten months – a very short time, owing to the difficulty sometimes experiences in providing stone. Up to the present, the building is a few feet over second floor joists; and the date fixed for the completion of the works is 1st March 1870.” Published in The Irish Builder, October 1 1869.