The Co-operative Wholesale Society, although it only commenced business in 1864, had by 1866 already established a depot in Ireland, at Tipperary, for the direct purchase of Irish produce. The policy of direct purchasing depots proved so successful that other depots were very soon established in the different districts — Limerick, in 1869; Armagh, in 1873; Tralee, in 1871; and Cork, in 1876. Over 80,000cwts. of Irish butter were bought in 1898, and the sales amounted to £389,262, out of the two and a half millions, the total amount of the C.W.S. butter sales.