1875 – Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
The Hibernian Bank aggressively pursued the business of the new Catholic middle classes, and in doing so, used an architectural idiom similar to that being used in the new churches being built at the time. The building is finished with limestone and two colours of sandstone, polished stone shafts to the columns, and round-headed windows to the banking hall. While not overtly Gothic in style, the use of such materials would have appealed to the new customer base. Hibernian Bank was eventually taken over by the Bank of Ireland, and is still in use today.