1876 – Laurence Egan’s, 87 North King Street, Dublin
This fine Victorian commercial premises still stands on North King Street, although hardly recognisable underneath modern signage, shop fronts and garish paint. The doorway to the right of the ground floor is still well preserved. “The premises now nearly completed for Mr. Egan, North King-street, contains wholesale warerooms with sugar store at rere, and front and rere retail shops. The front is of Dalkey granite, as far as first-floor windows; the shafts of polished Newry granite, cornice of Bath stone. The remaining portion is of red brick, with bands of black brick. The fixtures, counter, offices, etc. in shops and warerooms are of pitch pine, inlaid with walnut. Messrs. O’Neill and Byrne of Dublin and Belfast, are the architects, and Mr. Jas. Comerford, of North King-street, the contractor.” The Irish Builder, March 15 1876.