1878 – Business Premises, Lombard St., Belfast
“Our illustration with this issue shows the new premises at the corner of Lombard-street and Rosemary-street, Belfast, which will shortly be completed for Mr Patrick McGuinness, the well-known guttapercha manufacturer, whose establishments are to be seen in many of the towns of Ireland. This building has been erected from the designs of Messrs. Thomas Jackson & Sons, Corn Market, Belfast. The cost will be about 3,200. The pilasters of the ground storey are of Bessbrook granite, the superstructure is of light red stone from Dundonald; the dressings, cornices etc., being of Scrabo stone. The roof is faced with alternate bands of green and purple slates and falls behind the cresting as a “flat” of quick inclination towards the back, covered with zinc laid with steps and rolls according to Braby’s patent.
The building is apportioned into three shops, two storeys of offices, and photographic gallery, caretakers apartments etc., all provided with ample closet, lavatory, and other accommodation. Mr. William McCammond, of Brookvale-terrace, Duncairn-street, is the general contractor. Lombard-street, as the new street is called, which was made a few years ago on the site of the worst “rookeries” off High-street, is now entirely built upon.” Published in The Irish Builder, November 1 1878.